- Press Release
- Oct 5, 2022
Video: NASA Panel Discussions – Ancient Earth, Alien Earths
During an August 20 event at NASA headquarters, called Ancient Earth, Alien Earths, a panel of scientists from NASA and other organizations discussed how vastly different and inhospitable we all would find ancient Earth, if we could go back in time.
Despite the conditions, though, it was an environment in which life began and evolved – and understanding how that was possible could help us recognize habitable planets around other stars.
Participants in the discussion included:
– Phoebe Cohen, Professor of Geosciences Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts.
– Shawn Domagal-Goldman, research space scientist, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt. Maryland.
– Christopher House, Professor of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania.
– Timothy Lyons, Professor of Biogeochemistry, UC Riverside, Riverside, California.
– Dawn Sumner, Professor of Geology, UC Davis, Davis, California.
– David Grinspoon, senior scientist, Planetary Science Institute, Tucson, Ariz. and former Blumberg NASA-Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology, Washington