- Press Release
- Nov 29, 2022
NASA Discovers Computer Virus Aboard the International Space Station
Reader note: This information was discussed at the ISS 30P SORR last week. Is this the first known ISS computer virus?
Special Topic on Virus detected onboard
– W32.Gammima.AG worm. This is a level 0 gaming virus intended to gather personal information.
– Virus was never a threat to any of the computers used for cmd and cntl and no adverse effect on ISS Ops.
– Theory is virus either in initial software load or possibly transferred from personal compact flash card.
– Working with Russians (and other partners) regarding ground procedures to protect flown equipment in the future.
– It was noted that most of the IP laptops and some of the payload laptops do NOT provide virus protection/detection software