Status Report

STS-104, Mission Control Center Status Report # 09 Monday, July 16, 2001 – 6 a.m. CDT

By SpaceRef Editor
July 16, 2001
Filed under , ,

Utilities for the International Space Station’s newest addition were hooked up today as the Expedition Two
and Atlantis crews prepared the station’s new airlock, named Quest, for its first use later in the week.

After cleaning up about half a liter of water that spilled from a coolant line and getting rid of some air
bubbles that caused the spill, the two crews installed valves that connect Quest to the station’s
environmental control system and a computer that will be used to run the airlock’s systems. They also tested
lines that will be used during future shuttle missions to replenish oxygen and nitrogen supplies, and
removed bolt drivers from the airlock’s berthing port, which are no longer needed now that the airlock is
permanently attached to the station.

The extra time it took to get the coolant line working put the crews about an hour behind schedule, so a
planned checkout of the airlock’s space walk equipment was put off to another day. Station Commander
Yury Usachev and Flight Engineers Jim Voss and Susan Helms were able to try out the airlock’s audio
communication systems, making the first radio calls to the ground from the airlock and two American space

STS-104 Commander Steve Lindsey and Pilot Charlie Hobaugh fired the shuttle’s engines for an hour
Sunday night to boost the station to an altitude of 238 by 235 statute miles (383 by 375 kilometers). Mission
Specialists Michael Gernhardt, Janet Kavandi and Jim Reilly also worked on equipment and supply transfers
between the shuttle and station.

Gernhardt and Reilly made preparations for the second spacewalk of the mission, during which they will help
install the first set of the High-Pressure Gas Tanks — one oxygen tank and one nitrogen tank — onto the
airlock’s shell on Tuesday. A third space walk, scheduled for Thursday evening, will see Gernhardt and Reilly
use the new airlock for the first time.

The two crews will go to bed at 8:04 a.m., with a wake-up call scheduled for 4:04 p.m.

The next mission status report will be i

SpaceRef staff editor.