- Press Release
- Mar 31, 2023
NOMAD Outreach: Impacts of E-mail Services and Forwarding Policy – NITR 2800-2
Subject: Impacts of E-mail Services and Forwarding Policy – NITR 2800-2 –
November 24, 2009
From: NOMAD Outreach
Date: Thursday, November 19, 2009
Subject: Impacts of E-mail Services and Forwarding Policy – NITR 2800-2
Message Sent To: All NOMAD Users
Effective Date: November 24, 2009
How Does This Policy Affect Me: You may be inadvertently affected if you send email messages to individuals who have been impacted by this policy. Email messages may bounce back to you as undeliverable. If this happens:
1. Check the Global Address List (GAL) in your email client for the direct email address of the recipient at his or her company and resend your message to that address.
2. If you cannot find an address for the recipient in the GAL, the entry has likely been dropped. Individuals being dropped from the GAL were advised on September 24 to provide their contact information to their NASA contacts before November 24.
You will not be able to contact the recipient until you have the correct email address at his or her company. The ODIN Help Desk does not have contact information for these individuals.
If your e-mail account is directly impacted by the NITR policy, you have already received an additional e-mail message with required steps.
What Is Happening: Last year to improve information security, NASA put in place a stringent review process to limit automatic e-mail forwarding to only accounts ending in .gov and .mil.
NASA Information Technology Requirement (NITR) 2800-2 establishes policy and requirements regarding e-mail services and e-mail forwarding for unclassified information systems. The requirements of the NITR apply to all e-mail services connecting to NASA Information Technology systems or NASA networks.
Summary of the NITR requirements:
– NASA Operational Messaging and Directory (NOMAD) is the only authorized user messaging service within the NASA domain.
– An automatic forward may not be placed on a NOMAD mailbox to send to a personal or non-NASA business e-mail account.
– OneNASA addresses (e.g., [email protected] ) may only be forwarded outside of NASA to other Government or Military e-mail addresses.
– Forwarding of OneNASA addresses to accepted Contractor-run e-mail systems may continue until the end of the current contract.
– All other OneNASA addresses currently forwarded to non-Government and non-Military e-mail addresses will be removed on November 24, 2009, 60 days of the effective date of this NITR.
– All user e-mail originating from a NASA e-mail server shall be identified with a NASA e-mail address unless otherwise approved by the NASA Agency Postmaster.
NITR 2800-2, E-mail Services and E-mail Forwarding information is available at http://nomadinternal.nasa.gov/nomad/documents/NITR_2800-02_Email_Services_and_Forwarding.pdf
Questions may be directed to Debrina Harrell at [email protected]