Status Report

NASA STS-134 Report #25 8:45 a.m. CDT Saturday, May 28, 2011

By SpaceRef Editor
May 28, 2011
Filed under , , ,
NASA STS-134 Report #25  8:45 a.m. CDT Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mission Control Center, Houston, Texas

HOUSTON – Spacesuit reconfiguration, work on a carbon dioxide scrubber, and movement of equipment and supplies between Endeavour and the International Space Station kept crew members of the docked spacecraft busy during their just-completed workday.

The three spacesuits used during the mission’s four successful spacewalks were reconfigured by Endeavour Commander Mark Kelly and Mission Specialist Andrew Feustel. During the crew’s morning, they prepared two of the suits for return to Earth in Endeavour.

The third was resized to fit station Flight Engineer Ron Garan. He and Mike Fossum, who will come to the station aboard a Soyuz in June to serve as an Expedition 28 flight engineer, will do a spacewalk during the July visit of Atlantis on STS-135, the last shuttle flight.

Mission Specialists Mike Fincke and Greg Chamitoff spent much of their day on the CO2 scrubber, replacing a desiccant/sorbent bed on the device called a carbon dioxide removal assembly. The task was budgeted for about four hours, with additional time for remounting the device, but the work’s complexity and difficulty caused it to run longer.

Feustel and Mission Specialist Roberto Vittori worked for about four hours on moving equipment and supplies. The transfer work had been running ahead of schedule and is nearly complete, except for last-minute items like those requiring refrigeration.

Kelly and Pilot Greg Johnson spent time in a study of spinal elongation. The importance of the study was illustrated during the Friday spacewalk. Chamitoff had trouble hooking his feet into a foot restraint because, he believes, his spacesuit’s legs were slightly too long. He apparently had not grown as much in space as had been predicted.

Early in their day, at about 9:15 p.m. Friday, Kelly, Johnson and Garan talked with middle school students, teachers and others gathered at the University of Arizona in Tucson. At about 7:45 a.m. Saturday Johnson answered questions from representatives of Gannet, Houston’s KPRC-TV and the Voice of America.

The next status report will be issued after crew wakeup, or earlier if warranted.

SpaceRef staff editor.