- Press Release
- Dec 4, 2022
NASA Spaceline 22 May 2009 Current Space Life Science Awareness
May 22, 2009 Current Awareness
The abstract in PubMed or at the publisher’s site is linked when available and will open in a new window.
- Jones JA, Sargsyan AE, Barr YR, Melton S, Hamilton DR, Dulchavsky SA, Whitson PA. Diagnostic ultrasound at Mach 20: Retroperitoneal and pelvic imaging in space. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2009 May 6. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: S.A. Dulchavsky) Note: ISS results.
- Doarn CR, Anvari M, Low T, Broderick TJ. Evaluation of teleoperated surgical robots in an enclosed undersea environment. Telemed J E Health. 2009 May;15(4):325-35.
- Summers SM, Hayashi Y, Nguyen SV, Nguyen TM, Purdy RE. Hindlimb unweighting induces changes in the p38MAPK contractile pathway of the rat abdominal aorta. J Appl Physiol. 2009 May 14. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: R.E. Purdy)
- Xu G, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Roberts AI, Shi Y. C/EBPbeta mediates synergistic upregulation of gene expression by interferon-gamma and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009 Apr;27(4):942-8. (PI: Y. Shi)
- Simons DM, Gardner EM, Lelkes PI. Sub-mitogenic phorbol myristate acetate co-stimulation rescues the PHA-induced activation of both naïve and memory T cells cultured in the rotating-wall vessel bioreactor. Cell Biol Int. 2009 May 8. [Epub ahead of print] (PIs: D.M. Simons, NASA Graduate Student Researcher Program; P.I. Lelkes)
- Park S, Zhao D, Hatanpaa KJ, Mickey BE, Saha D, Boothman DA, Story MD, Wong ET, Burma S, Georgescu MM, Rangnekar VM, Chauncey SS, Habib AA. RIP1 activates PI3K-Akt via a dual mechanism involving NF-kappaB-mediated inhibition of the mTOR-S6K-IRS1 negative feedback loop and down-regulation of PTEN. Cancer Res. 2009 May 15;69(10):4107-11. Epub 2009 May 12. (PI: S. Burma)
- Mukherjee B, McEllin B, Camacho CV, Tomimatsu N, Sirasanagandala S, Nannepaga S, Hatanpaa KJ, Mickey B, Madden C, Maher E, Boothman DA, Furnari F, Cavenee WK, Bachoo RM, Burma S. EGFRvIII and DNA double-strand break repair: A molecular mechanism for radioresistance in glioblastoma. Cancer Res. 2009 May 15;69(10):4252-9. Epub 2009 May 12. (PI: S. Burma)
- Sinclair D, Oberdoerffer P. The ageing epigenome: Damaged beyond repair? Ageing Res Rev. 2009 May 9. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: P. Oberdoerffer, NSBRI Postdoctoral Fellowship Program)
- Roller CA, Cohen HS, Bloomberg JJ, Mulavara AP. Improvement of obstacle avoidance on a compliant surface during transfer to a novel visual task after variable practice under unusual visual conditions. Percept Mot Skills. 2009 Feb;108(1):173-80. (PI: J.J. Bloomberg)
- Murad F, Barber R. A hypothesis about cellular signaling with nitric oxide in the earliest life forms in evolution. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 May 8. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: F. Murad) Note: Interesting last sentence of the abstract.
- Ehrick JD, Luckett MR, Khatwani S, Wei Y, Deo SK, Bachas LG, Daunert S. Glucose responsive hydrogel networks based on protein recognition. Macromol Biosci. 2009 May 11. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: S. Daunert)
Other papers of interest:
- Florian JP, Pawelczyk JA. Non-esterified fatty acids increase arterial pressure via central sympathetic activation in humans. Clin Sci (Lond). 2009 May 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wilson TE, Brothers RM, Tollund C, Dawson E, Nissen P, Yoshiga C, Jons C, Secher N, Crandall CG. Effect of thermal stress on Frank-Starling relations in humans. J Physiol. 2009 May 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bundgaard-Nielsen M, Jørgensen CC, Jørgensen TB, Ruhnau B, Secher NH, Kehlet H. Orthostatic intolerance and the cardiovascular response to early postoperative mobilization. Br J Anaesth. 2009 Jun;102(6):756-62. Epub 2009 Apr 27.
- Sakuma K, Watanabe K, Hotta N, Koike T, Ishida K, Katayama K, Akima H. The adaptive responses in several mediators linked with hypertrophy and atrophy of skeletal muscle after lower limb unloading in humans. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2009 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ogata T, Machida S, Oishi Y, Higuchi M, Muraoka I. Differential cell death regulation between adult-unloaded and aged rat soleus muscle. Mech Ageing Dev. 2009 May;130(5):328-36. Epub 2009 Feb 13.
- Brouwers JE, Lambers FM, van Rietbergen B, Ito K, Huiskes R. Comparison of bone loss induced by ovariectomy and neurectomy in rats analyzed by in vivo micro-CT. J Orthop Res. 2009 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Zhang P, Turner CH, Yokota H. Joint loading-driven bone formation and signaling pathways predicted from genome-wide expression profiles. Bone. 2009 May;44(5):989-98. Epub 2009 Feb 7.
- Trifonova EB, Osipenko AV. [Biochemical diagnosis of immobilization osteoporosis]. Klin Lab Diagn. 2009 Jan;(1):3-5. Russian.
- Petersson J, Rohdin M, Sánchez-Crespo A, Nyrén S, Jacobsson H, Larsson SA, Lindahl SG, Linnarsson D, Neradilek B, Polissar NL, Glenny RW, Mure M. Regional lung blood flow and ventilation in upright humans studied with quantitative SPECT. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2009 Mar 31;166(1):54-60. Epub 2009 Feb 7. Note: There are a number of gravitational and space physiology articles that are in press for this journal and that will likely constitue a future issue of this journal. They will be listed when the issue appears. These in press citations, interspersed among other in press articles, can be seen at the journal’s site.
- Harris RS, Winkler T, Musch G, Vidal Melo MF, Schroeder T, Tgavalekos N, Venegas JG. The prone position results in smaller ventilation defects during bronchoconstriction in asthma. J Appl Physiol. 2009 May 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hei TK, Ballas LK, Brenner DJ, Geard CR. Advances in radiobiological studies using a microbeam. J Radiat Res (Tokyo). 2009 Mar;50 Suppl A:A7-A12. Note: This article and the following article are part of a supplement issue of this journal on the topic “Microbeam Probes of Cellular Radiation Responses.” All 9 supplement articles may be obtained online without charge.
- Durante M. Applications of particle microbeams in space radiation research. J Radiat Res (Tokyo). 2009 Mar;50 Suppl A:A55-8. Note: This article may be obtained online without charge.
- Mognato M, Girardi C, Fabris S, Celotti L. DNA repair in modeled microgravity: Double strand break rejoining activity in human lymphocytes irradiated with gamma-rays. Mutat Res. 2009 Apr 26;663(1-2):32-9. Epub 2009 Jan 17.
- Kikuchi S, Saito Y, Ryuto H, Fukunishi N, Abe T, Tanaka H, Tsujimoto H. Effects of heavy ion beams on chromosomes of common wheat, Triticum aestivum. Mutat Res. 2009 May 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tsai ML, Liu CC, Wu YC, Wang CH, Shieh P, Lu DW, Chen JT, Horng CT. Ocular responses and visual performance after high acceleration force exposure. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 May 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Meissner K, Enck P, Muth ER, Kellermann S, Klosterhalfen S. Cortisol levels predict motion sickness tolerance in women but not in men. Physiol Behav. 2009 Apr 20;97(1):102-6. Epub 2009 Feb 11.
- Wulff K, Porcheret K, Cussans E, Foster RG. Sleep and circadian rhythm disturbances: Multiple genes and multiple phenotypes. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009 May 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rizzo AM, Montorfano G, Negroni M, Corsetto P, Berselli P, Marciani P, Zava S, Berra B. Simulated microgravity induce glutathione antioxidant pathway in Xenopus laevis embryos. Cell Biol Int. 2009 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wirtz D. Particle-tracking microrheology of living cells: Principles and applications. Annu Rev Biophys. 2009;38:301-26.
- Davis DA, Hamilton A, Yang J, Cremar LD, Van Gough D, Potisek SL, Ong MT, Braun PV, Martínez TJ, White SR, Moore JS, Sottos NR. Force-induced activation of covalent bonds in mechanoresponsive polymeric materials. Nature. 2009 May 7;459(7243):68-72.