- Press Release
- August 13, 2022
NASA Spaceline 13 March 2009 Current Space Life Science Awareness
The abstract in PubMed or at the publisher’s site is linked when available and will open in a new window.
- Zwart SR, Wolf M, Rogers A, Rodgers S, Gillman PL, Hitchcox K, Ericson KL, Smith SM. Stability of analytes related to clinical chemistry and bone metabolism in blood specimens after delayed processing. Clin Biochem. 2009 Feb 26. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: S.M. Smith)
- Rice OV, Grande AV, Dehktyar N, Bruneus M, Robinson JK, Gatley SJ. Long-term effects of irradiation with iron-56 particles on the nigrostriatal dopamine system. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2009 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print] (PI: S.J. Gatley)
- Fike JR, Rosi S, Limoli CL. Neural precursor cells and central nervous system radiation sensitivity. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2009 Apr;19(2):122-32. (PIs: J.R. Fike; G. Nelson/J.R. Fike/NSCOR; C.L. Limoli)
- Ianzini F, Kosmacek EA, Nelson ES, Napoli E, Erenpreisa J, Kalejs M, Mackey MA. Activation of meiosis-specific genes is associated with depolyploidization of human tumor cells following radiation-induced mitotic catastrophe. Cancer Res. 2009 Mar 15;69(6):2296-304. Epub 2009 Mar 3. (PI: F. Ianzini)
Other papers of interest:
- Ferretti G, Iellamo F, Pizzinelli P, Kenfack MA, Lador F, Lucini D, Porta A, Narkiewicz K, Pagani M. Prolonged head down bed rest-induced inactivity impairs tonic autonomic regulation while sparing oscillatory cardiovascular rhythms in healthy humans. J Hypertens. 2009 Mar;27(3):551-61.
- Carew S, Cooke J, O’Connor M, Donnelly T, Costelloe A, Sheehy C, Lyons D. What is the optimal duration of tilt testing for the assessment of patients with suspected postural tachycardia syndrome? Europace. 2009 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- van Norren K, Kegler D, Argiles JM, Luiking Y, Gorselink M, Laviano A, Arts K, Faber J, Jansen H, van der Beek EM, van Helvoort A. Dietary supplementation with a specific combination of high protein, leucine, and fish oil improves muscle function and daily activity in tumour-bearing cachectic mice. Br J Cancer. 2009 Mar 10;100(5):713-22.
- Hemdan DI, Hirasaka K, Nakao R, Kohno S, Kagawa S, Abe T, Harada-Sukeno A, Okumura Y, Nakaya Y, Terao J, Nikawa T. Polyphenols prevent clinorotation-induced expression of atrogenes in mouse C2C12 skeletal myotubes. J Med Invest. 2009 Feb;56(1-2):26-32. Note: This article may be obtained online without charge.
- Fujita N, Fujimoto T, Tasaki H, Arakawa T, Matsubara T, Miki A. Influence of muscle length on muscle atrophy in the mouse tibialis anterior and soleus muscles. Biomed Res. 2009 Feb;30(1):39-45. Note: This article may be obtained online without charge.
- Kim H, Choi HK, Shin JH, Kim KH, Huh JY, Lee SA, Ko CY, Kim HS, Shin HI, Lee HJ, Jeong D, Kim N, Choi Y, Lee SY. Selective inhibition of RANK blocks osteoclast maturation and function and prevents bone loss in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009 Mar 2. pii: 36809. doi: 10.1172/JCI36809. [Epub ahead of print] Note: This article may be obtained online without charge.
- Tomimori Y, Mori K, Koide M, Nakamichi Y, Ninomiya T, Udagawa N, Yasuda H. Evaluation of pharmaceuticals with a novel fifty-hour animal model of bone loss. J Bone Miner Res. 2009 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Liu J, Zhao Z, Li J, Zou L, Shuler C, Zou Y, Huang X, Li M, Wang J. Hydrostatic pressures promote initial osteodifferentiation with ERK1/2 not p38 MAPK signaling involved. J Cell Biochem. 2009 Mar 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sato T, Endo A, Zankl M, Petoussi-Henss N, Niita K. Fluence-to-dose conversion coefficients for neutrons and protons calculated using the PHITS code and ICRP/ICRU adult reference computational phantoms. Phys Med Biol. 2009 Mar 5;54(7):1997-2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bigsby RM, Valluri S, Lopez J, Mendonca MS, Caperell-Grant A, DesRosiers C, Dynlacht JR. Ovarian hormone modulation of radiation-induced cataractogenesis: Dose-response studies. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Raffai G, Cseko C, Nadasy G, Monos E. Vestibular control of intermediate- and long-term cardiovascular responses to experimental orthostasis. Physiol Res. 2009 Feb 27. [Epub ahead of print] Note: This article may be obtained online without charge.
- Carmona JE, Holland AK, Harrison DW. Extending the functional cerebral systems theory of emotion to the vestibular modality: A systematic and integrative approach. Psychol Bull. 2009 Mar;135(2):286-302.
- Zill SN, Keller BR, Duke ER. Sensory signals of unloading in one leg follow stance onset in another leg: Transfer of load and emergent coordination in cockroach walking. J Neurophysiol. 2009 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang WJ, Guan Y, Sun X, Zhu YY, Shi JS. [Measurement and analysis of Platycodon grandiflorum with space flight mutagenesis breeding by XRF] Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi. 2008 Dec;28(12):2993-5. Chinese. Note: Space flight results.
- Discher D, Dong C, Fredberg JJ, Guilak F, Ingber D, Janmey P, Kamm RD, Schmid-Schoenbein GW, Weinbaum S. Biomechanics: Cell research and applications for the next decade. Ann Biomed Eng. 2009 Mar 4. [Epub ahead of print] Note: From paper: “This is a white paper developed by the Cell Mechanics working group of the US National Committee on Biomechanics.” From paper: “Paradoxically, a major obstacle surrounding funding in biomechanics may have stemmed from the central dogma of molecular biology, in which the gene is held to be at the apex of a causal cascade of highly specific signaling pathways, and a physical picture in which this cascade of events plays out according to the rules of dilute solution biochemistry. Within such a conceptual framework, physical forces are easily dismissed as being merely end-effects that reside far downstream of initiating causal events. Related funding obstacles have been concerns surrounding causality and specificity; physical force, after all, is innately nonspecific in both its causes and its effects. Specific genes and signals do indeed control cell-based generation of physical forces, but, as described above, there is now a growing recognition that physical forces, cell shape, cytoskeletal tension, and cell deformation–all of which are nonspecific–act to control signal transduction, gene expression, and stem cell fate. Therefore, the framework of linear and specific causal cascades playing out according to the rules of dilute solution chemistry, with genes at the top of the cascade and physical forces near the bottom, is now being replaced by the notions that the cell interior is a crowded chemical space that is much closer to the solid state than the fluid state, and a framework in which there plays out a web of causality in which cell structure, physical forces, and epigenetic factors are seen to play indispensable roles. [references excluded]”
- Moulia B, Fournier M. The power and control of gravitropic movements in plants: A biomechanical and systems biology view. J Exp Bot. 2009;60(2):461-86.
- Magori S, Oka-Kira E, Shibata S, Umehara Y, Kouchi H, Hase Y, Tanaka A, Sato S, Tabata S, Kawaguchi M. TOO MUCH LOVE, a root regulator associated with the long-distance control of nodulation in Lotus japonicus. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2009 Mar;22(3):259-68.