Status Report

NASA Space Shutttle Processing Status Report 11 July 2005

By SpaceRef Editor
July 11, 2005
Filed under , , ,
NASA Space Shutttle Processing Status Report 11 July 2005

Discovery (OV-103)

Mission: STS-114 – 17th ISS Flight (LF1)
Payload: Multi-Purpose Logistics Module
Location: Launch Pad 39B
Launch Date: July 13, 2005, 3:51 p.m. EDT
Launch Pad: 39B
Crew: Collins, Kelly, Noguchi, Robinson, Thomas, Lawrence and Camarda
Inclination/Orbit Altitude: 51.6 degrees/122 nautical miles

Following the start of the countdown clock last night at 6 p.m., technicians and the launch team began to work final procedures and closeouts for Space Shuttle Discovery’s launch to the International Space Station on mission STS-114. Launch remains on schedule for 3:51 p.m., July 13.

Preparations are complete for the loading of the Power Reactant Storage Distribution system. This is the operation where the liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen for the fuel cells is loaded on the orbiter Discovery. The fuel cells provide power to the electrical systems while the vehicle is on orbit. The byproduct is drinking water.

Today, the L-2 day weather forecast shows that the probability of weather prohibiting the launch of Discovery is 30 percent, with the probability of weather prohibiting tanking at only five percent. Temperature at launch time is forecast at 86 degrees and a relative humidity of 70 percent.

The STS-114 crew will spend today in various reviews including a payload systems briefing. Earlier this morning, Commander Eileen Collins and Pilot Jim Kelly flew several landing approaches at the Shuttle Landing Facility in the Shuttle Training Aircraft.

The Solid Rocket Booster retrieval ships Liberty Star and Freedom Star will depart from KSC tomorrow at noon and travel to their location for launch, about 140 nautical miles downrange of the launch pad.

SpaceRef staff editor.