- Status Report
- Feb 4, 2023
Consulting Services NASA’s Orbital Space Plane Vehicle
- General Information
- Solicitation Number: N/A
- Reference Number: 10-09179
- NAIS Posted Date: Jan 30, 2003
- FedBizOpps Posted Date: Jan 30, 2003
- Response Date: Feb 04, 2003
- Classification Code: R — Professional, administrative, and mgmt support services
Contracting Office Address
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA Headquarters Acquisition Branch, Code 210.H, Greenbelt, MD 20771
NASA/HQ plans to issue a Request for Quotation (RFQ) for consulting services for NASA’s Orbital Space Plane Vehicle. The scope of work includes the following:
1. Provide independent information and expertise to the NASA Administrator and Deputy Administrator pertaining to the Level I requirements for the development of the Orbital Space Plane Vehicle. 2. Review and provide independent information and expertise to the NASA Administrator regarding the Orbital Space Plane Vehicle’s X37 flight demonstration vehicle. 3. Provide independent expertise to technical and programmatic review and analysis of Level I expectations 4. Coordinate with the Office of Aero-Space Technology and private industry partners to evaluate, recommend and advise on requirements for Level I of the Orbital Space Plane’s development. 5. Review NASA plans and implementation of Orbital Space Plane Vehicle privatization and provide information and independent expertise related to the viability of those plans. 6. Review NASA plans and implementation of the Orbital Space Plane Vehicle’s independent cost estimate and provide information and independent expertise related to the viability of those plans. 7. Review and provide expertise regarding NASA senior management’s planned implementation of the Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) for management of the International Space Station. 8. Deliver a comprehensive report to the NASA Administrator regarding the programmatic, technical and resource utilization requirements for the orbital space plane vehicle.
This procurement is being conducted under the Simplified Acquisition Procedures (SAP).
NASA/HQ intends to purchase these services from Dr. Daniel Mulville under the authority of 10 U.S.C. 2304(c)(1), Only One Responsible Source. Dr. Daniel Mulville has nearly 3 decades of experience in the development and management of the NASA space vehicle programs. He is a recognized expert on these matters throughout NASA and elsewhere in government. He has specific expertise in the areas of the NASA and aerospace development process, NASA Level I through Level IV requirements, and in-depth experience in working with Congress, the GAO, the Office of Science and Technology Policy, the OMB and the Department of Defense on these specific matters. Dr. Mulville was also uniquely responsible for the leadership of all NASA’s space plane development activities and has a unique and specific historical background and corporate knowledge of key NASA programs, in particular, the Space Shuttle, the Orbital Space Plane Vehicle, and experimental space plane vehicles. Dr. Mulville has been personally involved in the strategic planning and program formulation for literally dozens of high-profile NASA aerospace programs. His expertise is unparalleled with regard to his knowledge of NASA’s aerospace programs and processes.
Although there are numerous potential sources that can provide independent, expert and technical advice, and strategic aerospace technology planning expertise, Dr. Mulville is the only available source with the required corporate knowledge and expertise concerning NASA’s orbital space plane vehicle programs. The requirements of the Statement of Work demand that the incumbent contractor be extremely well versed in all of NASA’s technical and programmatic relationships and processes.
The Government intends to acquire a commercial item using FAR Part 12. Interested organizations may submit their capabilities and qualifications to perform the effort in writing to the identified point of contact not later than 4:30 p.m. local time on February 4, 2003. Such capabilities/qualifications will be evaluated solely for the purpose of determining whether or not to conduct this procurement on a competitive basis. A determination by the Government not to compete this proposed effort on a full and open competition basis, based upon responses to this notice is solely within the discretion of the government.
Oral communications are acceptable in response to this notice. All responsible sources may submit an offer which shall be considered by the agency. An Ombudsman has been appointed. See NASA Specific Note “B”.
Any referenced notes can be viewed at the following URL: http://genesis.gsfc.nasa.gov/nasanote.html
Point of Contact
- Name: Steve Lloyd
- Title: Procurement Manager
- Phone: (301) 286-4309
- Fax: (301) 286-0357
- Email: [email protected]