- Press Release
- Sep 26, 2022
Satellite Industry Report Shows Satellite industry Growth of 7% in 2012
The Satellite Industry Association (SIA) today released its 2013 State of the Satellite Industry Report, showing a 7% growth in world satellite industry revenues in 2012, up from 5% growth in 2011. Globally, 2012 revenues for the satellite industry totaled $189.5 billion, up from $177.3 billion the previous year.
All four industry sectors grew, led by satellite services, the traditional driver for the industry. Both satellite manufacturing and launch services saw significant revenue increases, and satellite ground equipment revenues also continued to expand.
“The satellite industry continued to grow in 2012, outpacing both U.S. and global economic performance,” noted Patricia Cooper, the President of SIA. “That satellite industry revenues have tripled since 2001 is evidence that consumers, businesses, and governments around the world place a high value on the dynamic and innovative services and networks provided by the global satellite industry. SIA and its members are dedicated to advocate for policies that will generate additional growth in the coming years.”
This is the sixteenth year that SIA has issued its State of the Satellite Industry Report, prepared in 2013 for the first time by the Tauri Group. Tauri polled over 80 satellite companies, both SIA members and non-members, to assess the performance of four satellite industry sectors: satellite services, satellite manufacturing, satellite launch industry, and ground equipment. Carissa
Christensen, the Managing Partner of the Tauri Group, noted that the SIA State of the Satellite Industry Report “is an industry standard used by senior decision-makers around the world. The Tauri Group is pleased to partner with SIA on the 2013 SSIR and enable SIA to continue its reputation as a reliable and unbiased source for industry information.”
The 2013 State of the Satellite Industry Report found the following results:
– Satellite Services revenues increased by 5% globally from 2011 to 2012, reaching $113.5 billion, powered by continued growth in consumer satellite television services.
– Satellite Manufacturing revenues, reflecting in-year satellites launched, grew by 23% worldwide to $14.6 billion, compared with the $11.9 billion earned in 2011. U.S. satellite manufacturing increased by 30%, from $6.3 billion to $8.2 billion.
– Satellite Launch Industry revenues, reflecting in-year launches, increased by 35% globally, with U.S. revenues increasing from $1.4 billion to $2.2 billion.
– Satellite Ground Equipment revenues continued to increase, growing 4% over 2011 to reach $54.8 billion. Consumer ground equipment, including satellite TV, satellite broadband, mobile satellite terminals, and GPS devices, constituted the bulk of these revenues.
– U.S. Satellite Industry Employment decreased by 1% through the third quarter of 2012, a net loss of 1,407 jobs. The pace of job losses slowed compared to the prior year, which saw a 2% drop in U.S. satellite industry employment. SIA will release an updated report after full 2012 employment data is published in August by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
About The Satellite Industry Association
SIA is a U.S.-based trade association providing worldwide representation of the leading satellite operators, service providers, manufacturers, launch services providers, and ground equipment suppliers. Since its creation more than eighteen years ago, SIA has advocated for the unified voice of the U.S. satellite industry on policy, regulatory, and legislative issues affecting the satellite business. For more information, visit www.sia.org.
SIA Executive Members include: Artel, LLC; The Boeing Company; The DIRECTV Group; EchoStar Satellite Services LLC; Harris CapRock Communications; Hughes Network Systems, LLC; Intelsat, S.A.; Iridium Communications Inc.; Kratos Defense & Security Solutions; LightSquared; Lockheed Martin Corporation.; Northrop Grumman Corporation; Rockwell Collins Government Systems; SES S.A.; and SSL.
SIA Associate Members include: AIS Engineering, Inc.; Astrium Services Government, Inc.; ATK Inc.; Cisco; Cobham SATCOM Land Systems; Comtech EF Data Corp.; DRS Technologies, Inc.; Encompass Government Solutions; Eutelsat, Inc.; Globecomm Systems, Inc.; Glowlink Communications Technology, Inc.; Inmarsat, Inc.; ITT Exelis; Marshall Communications Corporation.; MTN Government Services; NewSat America, Inc.; O3b Networks; Orbital Sciences Corporation; Panasonic Avionics Corporation; Spacecom, Ltd.; Row 44; Spacenet Inc.; TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.; Telesat Canada; The SI Organization, Inc.; TrustComm, Inc.; Ultisat, Inc.; ViaSat, Inc., and XTAR, LLC.
About The Tauri Group
The Tauri Group is an innovative analytical consulting firm specializing in homeland security, defense, and space enterprises. Government agencies and industry leaders trust The Tauri Group’s objectivity and vision. They depend on our expertise in market research, economic analysis, technology assessment and investment strategy, data analysis, strategic communication, and report development. Many of the existing, authoritative data sets characterizing the space industry and sub-segments were originated by The Tauri Group or by Tauri analysts.
The Tauri Group is headquartered in Alexandria, VA. For more information, visit their website at www.space.taurigroup.com.