- Status Report
- Jan 31, 2023
Satellite Industry Association Report Shows Modest Growth in 2011 Satellite Industry Revenues
The Satellite Industry Association (SIA) today released its annual State of the Satellite Industry Report which showed a modest growth of 5% in world satellite industry revenues which totalled $177.3 billion in 2011. The report was completed by Futron Corporation for the SIA.
The 2012 State of the Satellite Industry Report found the following results:
– Satellite Services revenues increased by 6% globally from 2010 to 2011, reaching $107.7 billion, powered by continued growth in consumer satellite television services.
– Satellite Manufacturing revenues, reflecting in-year satellites launched, grew by 9% worldwide to $11.9 billion, compared with the $10.8 billion earned in 2010. U.S. satellite manufacturing increased by 10%, from $5.6 billion to $6.2 billion.
– Satellite Launch Industry revenues, reflecting in-year launches, increased by 10%, with U.S. revenues increasing from $1.2 billion to $1.9 billion.
– Satellite Ground Equipment revenues continued to increase, growing 2% over 2010 to reach $52.8 billion. Consumer ground equipment, including satellite TV, satellite broadband, mobile satellite terminals, and GPS devices, constituted the bulk of these revenues.
– U.S. Satellite Industry Employment decreased by 1% in the first three quarters of 2011, a net loss of 2,169 jobs. The pace of job losses slowed compared to the prior year, which saw a 2.7% drop in U.S. satellite industry employment. The SIA will release updated employment numbers in August 2012, when the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics issues 4Q 2011 employment data.
The report indicates the global space industry revenue in 2011 at $298.8 billion of which $177.3 billion is the satellite industry and the overall global telecommunications industry is $4.23 trillion.
“The global satellite industry posted notable growth in 2011, a strong showing in light of the worldwide economic environment,” noted Patricia Cooper, President of SIA. “All four industry sectors grew, led by satellite services, which continues to be the primary demand driver for satellite manufacturing, launch industry, and ground equipment activity. Worldwide satellite industry revenues have shown an average annual growth rate of 9% over the past five years, demonstrating the ongoing resilience of the industry. SIA and its members remain committed to advocating for policies that will allow our entire industry to thrive and ensure the critical services it supplies.”
The report was compiled from information gathered from 80 satellite companies including satellite services, satellite manufacturing, satellite launch industry, and ground equipment companies.