- Press Release
- August 12, 2022
The Conrad Foundation announces finalists for the 2011 Spirit of Innovation
Awards 27 High School Teams to Present Innovative Products in Aerospace, Clean Energy, and Cyber Security at Annual Summit
SAN FRANCISCO (Feb. 8, 2011) – Officials with The Conrad Foundation today announced 27 high school teams will compete in the finals for the 2011 Spirit of Innovation Awards. The annual competition, presented by Lockheed Martin Corporation, challenges students to solve real-world problems by creating science and technology based products that can be introduced to the marketplace.
This year’s competition challenges students to develop new ideas in the areas of aerospace exploration, clean energy and cyber security. The finalist teams in each category include:
* Aerospace Exploration: creating an innovative product for use in aerospace exploration.
– Lennox Aerospace; Ballakermeen High School, Douglas, Isle of Man, British Isles
– Morphus; North Carolina School of Science and Math, Durham, NC
– MVNTHS Beta; Monta Vista High School, Cupertino, CA
– Ouroboros; Upper St. Clair High School, Pittsburgh, PA
– PVA; North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, NC
– Star (Space Technology Research); Milken Community High School, LA, CA
– Unis In Space; North Carolina School of Science and Math, Durham, NC
* Clean Energy: creating an innovative product using clean energy or increased energy efficiency or energy storage technology to improve everyday life.
– Air-Ease; Whitehorse High School, Montezuma Creek, UT
– BEHD; Thomas Jefferson HS for Science and Technology, Alexandria, VA
– CIRPSICSR; Thomas Jefferson HS for Science and Technology, Alexandria, VA
– Green Bacon; Charlottesville High School, Charlottesville, VA
– Helios; Monta Vista High School, Cupertino, CA
– Kinergy; Queen Elizabeth High School, Patrick, Isle of Man, British Isles
– Lost Altos Academy of Engineering; Los Altos Academy of Engineering, Hacienda Heights, CA
– Pe-U; Ninians High School, Doughlas, Isle of Man, British Isles
– Solar Cookout; Whitehorse High School, Montezuma Creek, UT
– Team SPEAD; North Carolina School of Science and Math, Durham, NC
– The PAGEboys; North Carolina School of Science and Math, Durham, NC
– Z00mb33z; Whitehorse High School, Montezuma Creek, UT
* Cyber Security: create a smartphone application to enhance our awareness of, and protection against threats around us.
– Infiniti Cyber Security; KIPP Houston High School, Houston, TX
– Lambda2.4; Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Alexandria, VA
– Lost Alos Academy of Engineering; Los Altos Academy of Engineering, Hacienda Heights, CA
– R Squared; Beverly Hills High School, Beverly Hills, CA
– SARA; North Carolina School of Science and Math, Durham, NC
– Scientifica White Hats; Northern High School, Durham, NC
– UniSecurity; North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, NC
“We are excited by the caliber of entries to this year’s competition”, said Nancy Conrad, chairman of the Conrad Foundation. “These innovative students think outside the box. They are risk takers who have shown fantastic potential, and who have ‘the right stuff’ to become leaders in the global economy.”
The finalist teams will present their products to industry experts, scientists, entrepreneurs and venture capitalists April 28 – May 1, 2011, at the Innovation Summit, presented by Lockheed Martin Corporation, taking place at NASA’s Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif. The teams’ products will be evaluated for technical content as well as commercial viability.
“Lockheed Martin is committed to developing the workforce of the future by engaging students in science, technology, engineering, and math education,” said Dr. Ray O. Johnson, senior vice president and chief technology officer for Lockheed Martin Corporation. “The Conrad Foundation’s Spirit of Innovation program is a great way to challenge and support the next generation of innovators.” Finalists will compete to receive a Next Step Grant of $5,000 and will be recognized as Pete Conrad Scholars. The Next Step Grant will be shared by the schools, teachers and students to encourage the continued development of the teams’ products.
Additionally, beginning April 13th, the public will have the opportunity to view videos created by finalist teams marketing their innovative products and vote on their favorite teams to help select the People’s Choice Award winners. To review each team and their projects, visit http://conradawards.org/teams.
About The Conrad Foundation- The Conrad Foundation is a not-for-profit foundation designed to energize and engage students in science and technology through project-based learning. By enabling young minds to connect education, innovation and entrepreneurship, the Conrad Foundation provides a bold platform for enriching imagination and innovative thinking. The Foundation builds upon the legacy of Ms. Conrad’s late husband, Apollo astronaut Pete Conrad, the commander of Apollo 12 and the third man to walk on the Moon.
About Lockheed Martin Corporation- Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 132,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation’s 2010 sales from continuing operations were $45.8 billion.
About NASA Ames Research Center- NASA’s Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, Calif., enables exploration through selected development, innovative technologies, and interdisciplinary scientific discovery. NASA Ames provides leadership in astrobiology; the search for extra-solar Earth-like planets; supercomputing; intelligent/adaptive systems; advanced thermal protection; and airborne astronomy. NASA Ames develops tools for a safer, more efficient national airspace and unique partnerships benefiting NASA’s mission.
Sho Balkian, Conrad Foundation
Office: (415) 970-5227; Mobile: (818) 606-8762
Gwen Griffin, Griffin Communications Group
Office: (281) 335-200, Mobile (281) 300-4681