- Press Release
- Mar 27, 2023
Space Health Institute Adds Astronauts, Scientists to Scientific Advisory Board
The Translational Research Institute for Space Health (TRISH) has announced that seven outstanding thought leaders, including two female astronauts, have joined its Scientific Advisory Board that provides strategic guidance to the NASA-funded research institute.
TRISH leads a national effort in translating terrestrial research that can help guard human health in space exploration. As NASA prepares to go back to the moon and SpaceX plans to launch the first all-civilian crew to space in late 2021, TRISH’s mission to keep all space travelers healthy is more vital than ever.
“We are at the cusp of space becoming more accessible to regular people. We are working toward safeguarding the health of all humans — astronauts exploring deep space and people with preexisting conditions that want to experience space for short periods. TRISH’s diverse advisory board members will help us focus our resources on the most impactful health technology and science innovations,” said Institute Director, Dorit Donoviel, Ph.D.
“From pharma and industry leaders to retired astronauts, this board benefits from an incredible wealth of technical and practical experience and leadership,” said Scientific Advisory Board Chair, Lisa Suennen. “This is the right group to expand TRISH’s reach and help us push on the boundaries of what we think we know about protecting the body and mind in space.”
The newly appointed members are:
- Col. Catherine Coleman, Ph.D., is a former NASA Astronaut and the Global Explorer in Residence at Arizona State University and Research Affiliate at the MIT Media Lab.
- Asha Collins, Ph.D., is the U.S. Country Head for Country Clinical Operations at Genentech.
- Armen Kherlopian, Ph.D., is a founding partner of BAJ Accelerator.
- Manish Kothari, Ph.D., is the President of SRI International.
- Nicole Stott, M.S., is a former NASA Astronaut and the Founding Director of the Space for Art Foundation.
- Matthew Wagoner, Ph.D., leads Investigative Toxicology at Takeda Pharmaceuticals.
- Brian Zambrowicz, Ph.D., is Senior Vice President of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.
They join existing members:
- Board Chair Lisa Suennen, M.A., is the leader of Manatt Digital and Technology and the firm’s related consulting practice.
- Imran Alibhai, Ph.D., is the Chief Executive Officer of Tvardi Therapeutics.
- Susan Alpert, M.D., Ph.D., is the Founder and Principal of SFA Consulting, LLC
- Catherine M. Davis-Takacs, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
- Seth Feuerstein, M.D., J.D., is a faculty adviser in innovation and entrepreneurship and Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Yale University Center for Biomedical and Interventional Technology
- Daniel Lowenstein, M.D., is the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost of the University of California San Francisco.
- Ted Smith, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology and Director of the Center for Healthy Air, Water and Soil at the Christina Lee Brown Envirome Institute of University of Louisville School of Medicine.
- Maj. Gen. Annette L. Sobel, M.D., M.S., is an Adjunct Professor in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center’s Schools of Nursing and Texas Tech University’s Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.