- Press Release
- Dec 3, 2022
Sierra Nevada Corporation’s Gateway Tour and Press Briefing
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) invites the media to tour its inflated space habitat, a prototype for NASA’s moon-orbiting Gateway concept, on Tuesday, April 2nd. The habitat is one portion of SNC’s complete Gateway Architecture, and includes sleeping space, stairs, an Astro Garden® system and exercise equipment. There will also be a demonstration of the full inflation of the habitat, which is one way SNC’s 27-foot-wide prototype is unique. The demonstration and tour offer visual and interactive elements.
As NASA prepares to return to the Moon and travel to Mars, the Gateway is envisioned in lunar orbit as a stepping stone for lunar and deep space exploration.
- WHO: Steve Lindsey, VP SNC’s Space Exploration Systems; former 5x NASA astronaut, commander of space shuttle missions including to the International Space Station
- WHAT: Gateway inflation demonstration, tour, press briefing. Media will also have the opportunity to see the Dream Chaser® spacecraft flight vehicle and mission control room. These are available to the media at these facilities for the first time.
- WHERE: SNC facility, 2000 Taylor Avenue, Louisville, CO 80027
- WHEN: Tuesday, April 2nd at 11am MT (check-in begins at 10:30am MT)
- WHY: Rare tour opportunity before SNC’s Gateway prototype is delivered to NASA
*Lunch will be provided
*Attendees must wear close-toed shoes
Media planning to attend should RSVP to email@example.com by 5pm Friday, March 29th, 2019. Please put “RSVP Lunar Gateway Habitat Media Event” in the subject line. Please include your full name, media organization, and confirmation of U.S. citizenship.
About SNC’s Gateway Architecture
SNC’s Gateway Architecture leverages and complements SNC’s extensive space portfolio which includes the Dream Chaser spacecraft. SNC’s work under the NASA’s NextSTEP-2 requirements draws in part on technology developed for the Dream Chaser, America’s spaceplane, including proximity operations systems for in-space vehicle docking, environmental control and life support systems, plus other essential subsystems for on-orbit operation and control.
About Sierra Nevada Corporation
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) is a trusted leader in solving the world’s toughest challenges through advanced engineering technologies in Space Systems, Commercial Solutions, and National Security and Defense. Honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, SNC’s Space Systems business area designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft and satellite solutions, space habitats and environmental systems, propulsion systems, precision space mechanisms and subsystems, and SNC’s celebrated Dream Chaser® spacecraft. With more than 25 years of space heritage working with the U.S. government, commercial customers, and the international market, SNC has participated in more than 450 successful space missions and delivered 4,000+ systems, subsystems and components around the world. For more information, visit www.sncorp.com.