- Press Release
- August 10, 2022
President of India Gives Away ASI Space Gold Medals
The President of India, Dr A P J Abdul Kalam, during his visit to Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram, this morning (November 18, 2002), presented the 2001 Space Gold Medals to five outstanding ISRO personnel in the presence of Dr K Kasturirangan, President of ASI and Chairman, ISRO. The medals are instituted by the Astronautical Society of India (ASI), Bangalore. The recipients of the Medals were:
- Smt V R Lalithambika, Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram
- Dr C G Patil, Master Control Facility, Hassan (Karnataka)
- Shri Saji A Kuriakose, Space Application Center, Ahmedabad
- Shri M K R Varma, Satish Dhawan Space Center, SHAR, Sriharikota
- Shri K Bagavathi Asari, ISRO Satellite Center, Bangalore
The Space Gold Medals for meritorious service are given every year to the personnel of the Department of Space who have made outstanding contribution to the Indian Space Programme while upholding the unique culture of ISRO. The medals were instituted by the Astronautical Society of India (ASI), Bangalore in the year 2001, out of the interest earned from a Corpus Fund donated by a Space Scientist.
The Space Gold Medals presentation ceremony held today was witnessed by a distinguished gathering of scientists, engineers and other invitees.