- Press Release
- Feb 5, 2023
NASA Federal Credit Union Awards Scholarships to Area Students
At the conclusion of its 2012 Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship Contest, NASA Federal Credit Union awarded scholarships–ranging from $1,500 to the top prize of $6,000–to six high school seniors. The annual program rewards the writing talent and academic endeavors of young Credit Union members who are working toward four-year or two-year undergraduate degrees or vocational studies.
“We are delighted to support these talented individuals in achieving their educational goals,” said Frank Penaranda, Chairman of NASA FCU’s Scholarship Committee and Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors. “Giving back to members through the Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship is just one example of NASA FCU’s core purpose of empowering people to achieve brighter financial futures.” The following outstanding seniors were recipients of this year’s scholarship awards:
* Chase Charron of Bel Air, Maryland–Plans to work as an aerospace engineer after receiving his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
* Geoffrey Manyin of Annapolis, Maryland–Will attend the University of Maryland, College Park, where he will pursue a career as a concert cellist with a major symphony orchestra.
* Alyssa Hickman of Chincoteague, Virginia–Will pursue a career in pharmacy after attending the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore, and receiving a Doctorate in Pharmacy.
* Vernon Jones of Mitchellville, Maryland–Plans to major in computer science and enroll in Air Force ROTC at West Virginia University to build a technical foundation for a career as a pilot.
* Julia Tolson of Laurel, Maryland–Will attend Grove City College in preparation for a career as a physical therapist.
* James Williams of Ellicott City, Maryland–Will attend the University of Maryland, College Park, to study molecular biology and, thereafter, pursue a career as a researcher.
About the NASA Federal Credit Union Scholarship Program
The Scholarship Program was established in 1983 in memory of Wilfred Mitchell and then renamed in 1991 to also honor Donald Beall. Both men are former NASA Federal Credit Union officials who were strong advocates of the education of our youth. In 2010, the name of the scholarship program was again changed, to the Mitchell-Beall-Rosen Memorial Scholarship Program, in honor of Eugene D. Rosen, who was instrumental in launching the program and served as its Chairman for 27 years. Mitchell, Beall and Rosen are fondly remembered for their commitment to the Credit Union movement and especially for their efforts to help young people succeed.
About NASA Federal Credit Union
NASA Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit financial cooperative owned entirely by its members and operated for the benefit of all who belong. Chartered in 1949, NASA Federal Credit Union serves the diverse needs of over 80,000 members with a full array of financial services and the strength of more than $1 billion in assets.
SOURCE NASA Federal Credit Union CONTACT: Lisa Bellemore, Communications & Public Relations Manager, +1-301-249-1800, ext. 225 Web Site: http://www.nasafcu.com