- Press Release
- Nov 30, 2022
NASA Announces Major Mars Rover Finding on Tuesday, 23 March
NASA will announce a major scientific finding at a Space Science Update (SSU) Tuesday at 2 p.m. EST, in the headquarters Webb Auditorium, 300 E St. SW, Washington. The Mars Exploration Rover (MER) Opportunity is exploring the martian Meridiani Planum and recently discovered evidence rocks at the landing site have been altered by water.
NASA Administrator Sean O’Keefe will make opening remarks. SSU panelists:
- Dr. Ed Weiler, NASA’s Associate Administrator, Office of Space Science
- Prof. Steve Squyres, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., and MER Principal Investigator
- Prof. John Grotzinger, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass, and a MER Co-investigator
- Dr. Dave Rubin, U.S. Geological Survey Sedimentologist at the Pacific Science Center in Santa Cruz, Calif.
- Dr. Jim Garvin, NASA Lead Scientist for Mars and the Moon, Office of Space Science, NASA Headquarters
The SSU will be carried live on NASA TV with two-way question-and-answer capability for reporters covering the event from participating NASA centers. NASA TV is available on AMC-9, transponder 9C, C-Band, located at 85 degrees west longitude. The frequency is 3880.0 MHz. Polarization is vertical, and audio is monaural at 6.80 MHz.
For audio only of the broadcast call: 321/867-1220/1240/1260. For a live webcast of the briefing and information about NASA TV on the Internet, visit: