- Press Release
- August 6, 2022
Mott, Truly, Tyson Join Space Foundation Board of Directors
Colorado Springs, Colo. (Dec. 20) – A leading space industry executive, a former NASA administrator and astronaut, and a world- renowned astrophysicist all have been selected to join the board of directors of the Space Foundation. Serving three-year terms effective January 2003 are
- Michael I. “Mike” Mott, Vice President & General Manager, The Boeing Company-NASA Systems, of Houston, Texas. Mott is responsible for the strategic direction of Boeing’s civil space programs, including its three signature programs — the Space Shuttle, International Space Station, and Payload and Carrier Programs. Prior to joining Boeing in July 1998, Mott was associate deputy administrator for NASA.
- VADM Richard H. “Dick” Truly, USN (Ret.), Director, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, of Boulder, Colo. Truly served as a NASA astronaut from 1969-1983, was the first commander of U.S. Naval Space Command from 1983- 1986, and served as NASA administrator from 1986-1992.
- Dr. Neil de Grass Tyson, Astrophysicist and Director, Hayden Planetarium, of New York City. The author of six books, including The Sky is Not the Limit, Dr. Tyson was appointed the Frederick P. Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium in 1996. He serves as a visiting research scientist at Princeton University and has most recently served by appointment of President George W. Bush as a commissioner on the Commission on the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Industry.
The board also elected the Honorable Jaime Oaxaca, chairman, The Oaxaca Group, to the lifetime position of director emeritus. A long- time industry executive with Northrop and twice Senate-confirmed presidential appointee to the U.S. General Advisory Committee on Arms Control, Oaxaca had served on the Space Foundation board since 1996 and was chairman from 1999-2002.
The board also re-elected the following members to three-year terms:
- Dr. William “Bill” Ballhaus, Jr., President & CEO, The Aerospace Corporation
- Lou Dobbs, Host, CNN-Moneyline
- Richard “Dick” MacLeod, Space Foundation President Emeritus
- Albert “Al” Smith, Executive Vice President, Lockheed Martin Space Systems
Continuing on the Space Foundation board of directors are the following:
- Chairman – W.B. “Bill” Tutt, CEO Tutco/LLC
- Vice Chairman – John Higginbotham, Chairman, SpaceVest
- Secretary – Donovan “Don” Hicks, Managing Director, Cygnus Enterprise Development LLC
- Treasurer – Dr. Jaleh Daie, Managing Director, Aurora Equity
- Gen. Howell Estes, USAF (Ret.), President, Howell Estes & Associates
- William MacDonald “Mac” Evans, Immediate Past President, Canadian Space Agency
- Paul Graziani, President & CEO, Analytical Graphics, Inc.
- Dr. Guion S. “Guy” Bluford, Jr., Vice President, Northrop Grumman
- Gen. Thomas S. “Tom” Moorman, Jr., USAF (Ret.), Vice President, Booz Allen & Hamilton
- Dr. Diana Natalicio, President, University of Texas-El Paso
- Gen. John L. “Pete” Piotrowski, USAF (Ret.)
- The Honorable Robert S. “Bob” Walker, Chairman, Wexler & Walker Public Policy Associates & Chairman, Commission on the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Industry
The Space Foundation is a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization, headquartered in Colorado Springs and serving the space community and educators both across the U.S. and internationally. Its mission is “to vigorously advance and support civil, commercial and national security space endeavors and educational excellence.” For more information, visit www.spacefoundation.org .