- Press Release
- Mar 20, 2023
Marshall Radio: NASA scientist: Lightning studies may provide earlier tornado alerts
Media Advisory: 00-187
Attention: News Department
Audio from NASA
Available now via phone or
Experts find direct link
between lightning flash rates and
tornadoes; space research may improve
severe weather predictions, save lives
- The goals: More precise severe storm forecasts equal earlier
warnings equal saving lives.
- NASA’s Lightning Imaging Sensor onboard the Tropical Rainfall
Measuring Mission satellite tracks lightning strikes and their
relationship to storms worldwide.
- Research shows direct ties between dramatically increased
cloud-to-cloud lightning flash rates before tornadoes form.
Nearly a dozen cases show a connection.
- The findings may help weather forecasters predict developing
tornadoes more accurately and lower the number of false
- Talk to a lightning expert about the research and how it could
affect weather predictions.
Who: Sound bites–varying lengths How: Call (256) 544-6397 (NEWS) or Download direct via the Web at: http://www.msfc.nasa.gov/news For extended interviews more information: PAO NAME, Media Relations (256) 544-0034