- Press Release
- Jan 26, 2023
Major Mars Discovery to be Announced at Dec 7 Briefing
Imaging scientists Dr. Michael Malin and Dr. Ken Edgett from
NASA’s Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft will present what they
describe as their most significant discovery yet at a Space
Science Update at 2:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 7. Their
findings are being published in the December 8 issue of Science
This science update will be held in the James E. Webb Auditorium
at NASA Headquarters, 300 E St., S.W., Washington, DC, and will be
carried live on Telstar 5, transponder 11. The Ku-band satellite
is located 97 degrees West longitude with a downlink frequency of
11929 MHz, vertical polarity.
Please note that, due to coverage of the ongoing Shuttle mission,
NASA Television does not expect to carry this briefing, and two-
way question-and-answer capability from agency centers will not be
Participants will be:
* Dr. Ed Weiler, Associate Administrator for Space Science, NASA
Headquarters, Washington, DC., will be panel moderator.
* Dr. Michael Malin principal investigator, Mars Orbiter Camera on
NASA’s Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft at Malin Space Science
Systems (MSSS), San Diego, CA.
* Dr. Ken Edgett, staff scientist at MSSS.
* Dr. Jim Garvin, Mars Exploration Program Scientist at NASA
* Dr. Ken Nealson, director of the Center for Life Detection at
NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA.