- Press Release
- Jan 28, 2023
High-level panel discussion on “The Outer Space Treaty: 50 years – looking ahead towards 2030”
The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) will organize a high-level panel discussion on the 50th anniversary of the Outer Space Treaty on Wednesday 7 June 2017 from 15:00 to 18:00 in the Vienna International Centre (VIC), C Building, Boardroom D.
A range of experts will share their perspectives on the Outer Space Treaty – the founding constitution of outer space activities – which entered into force on 10 October 1967. The discussion will address the impact of the Outer Space Treaty and the wider legal regime on space exploration, science, technology, policy and law, and the interaction between developments in those fields and the Treaty.
Speakers and themes include:
• Yury Fedotov, Director-General of the United Nations Office in Vienna, who will open the high-level panel with a special address
• David Kendall, Chair of the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS), who will moderate the panel discussion and deliver introductory remarks on space governance
• Simonetta Di Pippo, Director of UNOOSA, on UNISPACE+50
• Kai-Uwe Schrogl, President of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL), on space policy
• Lennard A. Fisk, President of the Committee on Space Research (COSPAR), on space science
• Jean-Yves LeGall, President of the International Astronautical Federation (IAF), on space technology via a pre-recorded presentation
• Sergio Marchisio, President of the European Centre for Space Law (ECSL), on space law.
The panelists represent the organizations mandated by COPUOS to organize long-standing dedicated symposiums at the annual sessions of the Scientific and Technical Subcommittee and Legal Subcommittee.
This event takes place during the annual session of the COPUOS, which is convening in Vienna from 7 to 16 June.
The discussion will be streamed at www.unoosa.org.
Media representatives who wish to attend the event, and who are not accredited to the VIC, should write to press[at]unvienna.org.
Access to the C-building is via Gate One of the Vienna International Centre.
For more information about UNOOSA, please contact:
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
Telephone: +43 699 1459 8718
United Nations Information Service Vienna (UNIS Vienna)
Tel.: (+43-1) 26060-4666
Fax: (+43-1) 26060-7-5899
Email: [email protected]