- Press Release
- August 9, 2022
First Meeting of the UK Space Strategy Council
The UK Space Strategy Council met for the first time on 4 December at the Department of Trade and Industry. The Council replaces the former BNSC Resources Board. Its main objectives are to establish and agree the Strategic Plan for UK space, to provide strategic guidance to the government bodies which make up the BNSC and to advise the Director General of the BNSC on strategy, policy and balance of the BNSC forward programme.
It is chaired by the Director General of the DTI Innovation Group, David Hughes and will normally meet twice a year. The first meeting was addressed by Lord Sainsbury, Minister for Science and Innovation.
SPACE STRATEGY COUNCIL
The 1st meeting will be held at the DTI Conference Centre, 1 Victoria Street, London SW1H
0ET at 9.30 am on Wednesday 4 December.
- Approval of the agenda SS (02)1
- Address by Lord Sainsbury
- UK Space Strategy SS (02)2
- Minutes of 32nd meeting of Resources Board and matters arising SS (02)3 (formerly RB (02)8 rev1)
- 5* Report of the Director General SS (02)4
- 6 Terms of Reference of Space Strategy Council SS(02)5
- 7 Chairmanship of Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) SS(02)6
- 8 Star Tiger lessons and follow-up SS(02)7
- 9 Presentation by Richard Brook on behalf of STAB SS(02)8
- 10 Any other business
*not circulated in advance
UK SPACE STRATEGY COUNCIL: TERMS OF REFERENCE
The UK Space Strategy Council will establish and agree the Strategic Plan for UK
space, evaluate progress against this and keep it updated as appropriate to
developments in the Partners, in international fora and in the marketplace.
It will provide strategic guidance to the government bodies which make up the BNSC
and advise the Director General of the BNSC on strategy, policy and balance of the
BNSC forward programme.
Funding Partners will keep the Council informed on their individual strategies,
implementation plans and programmes, insofar as these relate to space activities, and
will take account of the UK Strategy for Space and relevant views expressed by the
Council in determining their own policy and plans.
The Council will provide a forum for knowledge exchange among the Partners.
The Council will review BNSC’s performance against the objectives and outcomes
expressed in the UK Strategic Plan.
The Council will take cognisance of the work of the Finance Deputies Committee and
other Boards and Committees which provide BNSC with financial and sectoral
The Council will be chaired by the Director General of the DTI Innovation Group
The Council will be composed of Chief Executives or Directors General of:
- Funding Partners – Government bodies who invest in space technologies, either directly or by making financial resources available to BNSC;
- Consulting Partners – Government bodies who have an interest in the use or development of space technologies and space policy;
- Advising Partners – non-Governmental organisations who have expertise and interests in space technologies or space policy and who, on the Director General’s recommendation, have been invited onto the Board by the Funding Partners and Consulting Partners.
- Chairmen of the BNSC Advisory Boards may be called upon to advise Council
- One or two non-executive members may also be appointed
Frequency of meetings:
The Council will normally meet twice a year. The Council may meet without
Advising Partners and Chairmen of Advisory Boards present where the restricted
nature of subjects warrants this.