- Press Release
- Sep 30, 2022
Explorers Club Kicks Off 2021 Global Exploration Summit
The Explorers Club announced the start of tomorrow’s 2021 Global Exploration Summit (GLEX). Tickets are available for virtual attendance; purchased by clicking here.Taking place in Portugal, and virtually, starting Tuesday, July 6th through July 10th, the second annual summit, with the support of Turismo de Portugal and sponsored by VisitAzores, brings together the world’s leading explorers to share accounts of their expeditions and the scientific research that they are conducting as they explore land, sea, and space.
The full panel schedule, available here: https://www.glexsummit.com/program-2021, will include leading visionaries, explorers, and scientists as they discuss recent advancements in their respective fields.
Top speakers at the GLEX Summit include:
- James Cameron, Academy Award-winning film director and deep-ocean pioneer;
- Dr. Sylvia Earle, legendary oceanographer, explorer, author and president of Mission Blue, an organization that inspires action to explore and protect the ocean;
- David Blaine, American illusionist, endurance artist, and extreme performer;
- Fabien Cousteau, aquanaut, Ocean explorer, environmentalist and visionary behind PROTEUS™, the world’s most advanced underwater scientific research station and habitat to address humanity’s most critical concerns;
- Brian Cox, an English physicist and former musician who serves as professor of particle physics in the School of Physics and Astronomy at the University of Manchester. He is also well-known for his widely popular BBC miniseries on the cosmos, titled “Wonders of the Universe”;
- Craig Foster, South African documentary filmmaker and naturalist known for Academy Award-winning documentary film, “My Octopus Teacher”;
- Prince Albert II, Monaco’s head of state and leader in global ocean conservation;
- Dr. Alan Stern, a planetary scientist, space program executive, aerospace consultant, and author who previously led NASA’s New Horizons mission that successfully explored the Pluto system;
- Anousheh Ansari, Iranian-born American businesswoman who was the first female private space traveler, the first person of Iranian descent, and the first Muslim woman to go into space;
- A closing message from UN Secretary-General António Guterres; and many more.
Panel: Ocean Rise
Description: Committed ocean advocates, legendary ocean luminaries James Cameron, Ray Dalio and Sylvia Earle will explore unknown frontiers, as well as the connections between the deep ocean and outer space. Join them on this mission to discover new ocean worlds, to inspire the next generation of ocean stewards and young explorers, and to better understand our universe.
Panel: Exploration Technology Opening the Deep Frontier
Description: Victor Vescovo of Five Deeps Expedition will discuss his recently completed expeditions with his specially-engineered submarine called the DSV Limiting Factor. In March, Viscovo joined Richard Garriott de Cayeux, president of The Explorers Club, on his descent down to the Mariana Trench – marking Victor’s ninth dive to the bottom of Challenger Deep.
Panel: Space Diversity
Description: Apollo 9 Astronaut Rusty Schweikert will be joined by Manuel Heitor, Portuguese Minister for Science, Technology and Higher Education, to discuss the future of space diversity and the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Beyond Mars Project.
Panel: Breaking Barriers in Exploration & Science
Description: Laetitia Garriott de Cayeux, CEO of Global Space Ventures, will be joined by Anousheh Ansari, CEO of XPrize, Dr. Nina Lanza, science team member for the SuperCam instrument onboard the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover, and Dr. Elizabeth Turtle, principal investigator of the Dragonfly spacecraft, a dual-quadcopter lander to investigate the surface composition and meteorology of Titan, to discuss breaking barriers in exploration and science.
Panel: Frontiers in Space
Description: Dr. Alan Stern, planetary scientist who previously led NASA’s New Horizons mission that successfully explored Pluto and the Kuiper Belt, will be joined by Danica Remy of the B612 Foundation, and NASA Astronaut Michael López-Alegría, of Axiom Space to discuss future frontiers in space exploration.
Description: “Learning from Ancient Tsunamis to Plan for the Future” with Bev Goodman; “Scythian Tombs in Siberia” with Gino Caspari and Trevor Wallace; and “Seeing the Past from Space” with Sarah Parcak