- Press Release
- Dec 5, 2022
Boehlert to Bring NASA Administrator to Oneida and Cayuga Counties
UTICA, N.Y. – On Monday, August 19th, Congressman Sherwood Boehlert (R-New Hartford), Chairman of the House Science Committee, will bring NASA Administrator Sean O’Keefe to New York’s 24th Congressional District. The House Science Committee has jurisdiction over all federal, civilian research and development, including the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Since becoming Chairman of the Committee in 2001, Boehlert has successfully worked with agencies under his jurisdiction to encourage the development of partnerships with upstate New York businesses, organizations and universities.
On Monday, Boehlert and O’Keefe will tour the Griffiss Business and Technology Park in Rome, visit the Utica Children’s Museum and tour the Institute for the Application of GeoSpatial Technology at Cayuga Community College, originally part of NASA’s Regional Applications Center Program.
Their itinerary is as follows:
- 8:30-10:10 AM Boehlert and O’Keefe will tour the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Information Directorate in Rome. They will discuss potential collaborations between NASA and AFRL, and will be briefed on the status of joint AFRL-NASA projects that Boehlert obtained federal funding for last year.
- 10:15 – 10:30 AM PRESS AVAILABILITY – Boehlert and O’Keefe will be available to talk to the press after their AFRL tour. Location: Mohawk Valley EDGE Offices, 153 Brooks Road, Rome.
- 11:00-11:30 AM MUSEUM TOUR AND PRESS AVAILABILITY – Boehlert and O’Keefe will visit the Utica Children’s Museum and will make a major announcement. Cornell University scientists will also be on hand to demonstrate their model of the “Mars Exploration Rover.” Location: Children’s Museum, 311 Main Street, Utica.
- 1:00-2:00PM LUNCHEON AND PRESS AVAILABILITY – Boehlert and O’Keefe will speak at a luncheon with college and community leaders, regarding strengthening the collaboration between NASA and Cayuga Community College. Boehlert and O’Keefe will take questions from the media following the luncheon. Location: Highland Park Golf Course, 3068 Franklin Street, Auburn.
- 2:00-3:30 PM Boehlert and O’Keefe will tour the Institute for the Application of GeoSpatial Technology at Cayuga Community College, will meet staff and will be briefed on the Institute’s programs. Location: Lattimore Hall, 81 Genesee Street, Auburn.