- Press Release
- Nov 25, 2022
Astronomy Magazine Seeks Managing Editor
Astronomy magazine, the world’s leading publication for astronomy enthusiasts, is seeking a managing editor. The successful candidate will partner with the editor to manage a professional, dedicated, seven-member editorial staff and report to the editor of the magazine. The staff is comprised of a talented group of educated, motivated, creative journalists and amateur astronomers. Relationships with others will be key: The staff works as a team with top-quality art, production, and photography departments to produce the world’s most beautiful and authoritative astronomy periodical. Preferred candidates will have a B.A. in English, journalism, or a related field, a minimum of five years of magazine or newspaper experience and editorial supervisory experience, and be an enthusiastic, energetic, hands-on manager of people. Required skills will include word processing and page layout and an eye for photo selection. Science knowledge and familiarity with the hobby of astronomy is a plus.
This is an outstanding opportunity because…
- You will help lead an editorial team charged with creating and delivering top-quality content for the best-read astronomy magazine in the world.
- You will work directly with staff members who are well-regarded for their expertise in astronomy.
- You will use your management and editorial skills to coach your team to perform at the highest levels and make Astronomy Magazine better than ever.
- You will be a key contributor to the growth and profitability of a 35-year-old magazine with a long track record of success.
- You will be part of a company that clearly values it employees and its customers.
- You will receive exceptional benefits including profit sharing, pension, 401k, life insurance, disability insurance and health insurance.
The primary job responsibilities include…
- Taking charge of day-to-day workflow to assure all projects are completed on a thorough and timely basis.
- Providing direction and coaching for team members to help them perform at their best.
- Coordinating the activities of the editorial staff with art and production to achieve outstanding and timely publishing results.
- Participating in helping the magazine develop new products and serve new markets.
- Assuring the highest quality magazine and web site content by working closely with staff members throughout the editing process.
The ideal candidate will possess…
- At least five years of editorial management experience
- Ten years of overall journalism experience
- Five years of magazine experience
- A track record of proven editorial, personnel, and business management capabilities
- Experience in online publishing, as well as print
- The ability to lead and inspire a team toward creative, collaborative success
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- A comprehensive understanding of key aspects of publishing beyond editorial
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit writing samples, resume, cover
letter detailing experience, and salary requirements to:
Kalmbach Publishing Co.
Attn: Human Resources, AST-AASN-1
21027 Crossroads Circle
P.O. Box 1612
Waukesha, WI 53187-1612
Fax: +1 262-796-0739