Synopsis - Apr 01, 2014
Solicitation Number: NNA14LAB288R-RFI
Posted Date: Apr 01, 2014
FedBizOpps Posted Date: Apr 01, 2014
Recovery and Reinvestment Act Action: No
Original Response Date: May 01, 2014
Current Response Date: May 01, 2014
Classification Code: Y -- Construction of structures and facilities
NAICS Code: 236220
Contracting Office Address
NASA/Ames Research Center, JA:M/S 241-1, Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001
NASA Ames Biosciences Laboratory, N288
Description: NASA Ames Research Center is hereby soliciting information about potential sources for providing a new Bioscience Laboratory. The broad scope of the requirement includes a construction project for a new building to be located at Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, California. The building shall be constructed as a sustainable entity. The project will be designed to achieve LEED-NC Silver or Gold Certification. The new building will consist of laboratory, office, conference rooms and support space approximately 50,000 square feet total. The laboratory area of the building will be 30,000 square feet of biology wet laboratory and laboratory support spaces. The office area will be approximately 20,000 square feet of enclosed offices, open offices, conference rooms and break rooms. Also included is associated site work, installation of underground utilities, grading and paving, and site landscaping. In accordance with FAR 36.204 Disclosure of the Magnitude of Construction Projects, the price range for this effort is between $30M and $60M.
Part I: Purpose of this Request for Information (RFI)
This RFI has two purposes:
1) To request information on capabilities/qualifications of potential Offerors to provide the services described in the technical areas stated in Part II of this RFI in order to determine if this requirement is appropriate for a small business set-aside. Information received as a result of this section will be considered by the Government and used for acquisition planning purposes only. Please note, a decision to set-aside this requirement for small business or to compete it through full and open procedures has not yet been made. An interested parties list will be posted.
2) To request information, stated in Part III of this RFI, from interested parties regarding their recommended contracting approach and contract duration to provide the construction of the new Biosciences Laboratory building described above. Note: Responses to Part I of this RFI are not requested.
Part II. Responses regarding the capabilities/qualifications of potential sources:
Interested Offerors having the required specialized capabilities/qualifications to support some or all of the work described in the Description Section of this RFI are asked to submit a description of their capability/qualifications in 5 pages or less (including any exhibits, attachments, etc.) that must include the following:
1) Provide your company name, address, point of contact, phone, fax, e-mail, and website (if applicable).
2) State whether your company is a Large business, Small business, Small Disadvantaged Business, certified 8(a) small business (include anticipated graduation date), HUBZone small business, Woman-owned small business, Veteran-owned small business, HBCU/MI, Service-Disabled Veteran-owned small business for NAICS code 236220 Commercial and Institutional Building Construction, size standard $33.5M in average annual receipts.
3) Socio-economic considerations are a priority at ARC. Given the general scope of work stated in the Description section of this RFI, and utilizing a work breakdown structure (WBS), please submit suggested percentages of the work that could be subcontracted to each of the following types of businesses: Small Business Concerns; Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) Concerns; Woman-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Concerns; HUBZone Small Business Concerns; Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) (includes other minority Institutions); Veteran-Owned Business Concerns; and Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Business Concerns. This information may be used to establish subcontracting goals for any future procurement
4) Describe your company's construction ability and capacity to perform the statement of work listed in the Description Section above.
5) Describe your company's experience in the past five (5) years constructing highly technical buildings such as laboratories, medical facilities, or other similar facilities. Include the contract type, i.e. whether the contract was design-bid-build or design-build, contract number, technical description and how it is relevant to the proposed projected, total dollar amount, period of performance, and a customer reference name, telephone number and email address.
6) Provide a list of relevant work performed in the past five (5) years that was certified LEED-NC Silver or Gold by the US Green Building Council, include the contract type, contract number, technical description, total dollar amount, period of performance, and a customer reference name, telephone number and email address.
Note: If your company experience in the above number five (5) applies to the above number six (6), please put your information only in number six (6).
The Government reserves the right to consider a small business or 8(a) set-aside based on responses received.
Part III Responses regarding the contracting approach
The Government is soliciting industry comments on the optimal contracting approach to perform a new Biosciences Laboratory procurement that will enhance competition and provide business opportunities. Responses to Part III must be in 6 pages or less (including any exhibits, attachments, etc...) and include the following:
1) Please provide your view regarding whether Design-Build or Design-Bid-Build would provide the best approach for this type of work. Describe the pros and cons of using the Design-Build or Design-Bid-Build approach to the action described above.
2) Discuss your possible period of performance of performing either the Design-Build or Design-Bid-Build.
Part IV: Instructions on submission of response to this RFI:
All responses to Part II and Part III of this RFI shall be received no later than May 1, 2014. Please respond via electronic mail (e-mail) to the Contract Specialist, Patricia Finnell-Mendoza, at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses must be in PDF format. All questions MUST be in writing and should also be directed to Ms. Finnell-Mendoza. If an interested party requests confirmation of receipt, the Contract Specialist will confirm receipt via email.
In all responses, please reference NNA14LAB288R-RFI, Bioscience Laboratory, N288 in the subject line and on all attachments. Verbal questions will not be accepted. This RFI is for information and planning purposes only and is not to be construed as a commitment by the Government nor will the Government pay any costs associated with responses to this RFI. Respondents will not be notified of the results of the evaluation.
No solicitation exists; therefore, do not request a copy of the solicitation. If a solicitation is released, it will be synopsized in FedBizOpps and on the NASA Acquisition Internet Service. It is the potential Offeror's responsibility to monitor these sites for the release of any solicitation or synopsis.
NASA Clause 1852.215-84, Ombudsman, is applicable. The Center Ombudsman for this acquisition can be found at http://prod.nais.nasa.gov/pub/pub_library/Omb.html .
Point of Contact
Name:Patricia F. Mendoza
Name:Norman P Julien
Title:Supervisory Contract Specialist